Last night, I got to experience my 1st Japanese Mall with my friend, Renee. I met Renee before we got here on a "mom's website" and she helped me with a ton of things upon arrival!! Anywho so we ventured off base to what used to be called, Diamond City Mall. Everyone says the name has changed, but no one seems to know what its called now.
The mall itself on the outside looked HUGEEEE, as Billy Fucillo would say, haha! We walked in and I was amazed how clean and how bright it was. So we started at 1 one of the food courts. I believe there was a 2nd one upstairs. We ate a Chinese resteraunt. I can't remember what it was called, but all I know is that the chicken meal I ate was AWESOME!!!! All I wanted was chicken because I think it had been about 3-4 weeks since I had last had some. Oh gosh, the best I have ever had. Well on top of that, I decided to use some chopsticks--I figured I might as well get used to it. All of a sudden, I realized that I need to cut my chicken. I look down for my fork and knife---no fork and knife. They were non-exsistent. So I did the best I could with my sticks and big ol' spoon. When we were done, I attempted to look at the bill and understand it. No problem. Japanese money is a 100 Yen to our $1.00. So if my bill was 1000 Yen, that equals out to $10.00. Or if you see 650 Yen, thats pretty much $6.50 Pretty easy. So we paid our bill, said our "Domo's" (Thank you's) and went off to check out the mall!
Now the size of the mall reminded me of the Carosel in Syracuse, with 3 levels and a movie theather on the top floor. The one thing that threw me off was seeing carpet inside, but it was nice carpet. Anywho,there were some Americanized stores in there, but the only ones I can remember off top of my head were Gap, Kids Gap, Tommy Hilfiger (sp?) and Starbucks/McDonalds for the food part. The stores seemed to be really spread out, not like a regular mall in America where they are close together and a good bunch of them down the hallway. There are a lot of kids clothing stores. Also a few stores that remind me of Claires Botique. Some shoe stores and then stores that have the Japanese custom things.
I went mostly to window shop to see what there was. Although, I did need a black belt because I lost mine somewhere in the hotel when we got here and on base, for the belt I wanted, it was $35--ummm no, lol! So we went into a store called Jasco's. I guess it is their version of Walmart. Now that was located on the "end of the mall" kinda like where Jcpennys/Sears would be. They have about 3 different levels in that store. Found my belt for a 1000 Yen, but I felt so terrible when I was checking out because I couldn't undertand the cashier and she seemed sooo nice! But I said my Domo's once again.
Renee also took my to her favorite place, Sticks, I believe its called. Its kinda like a Cheesecake Factory, but instead of a full piece of cheesecake, they are little sticks. They had a whole variety of them to choose from. I brought home cookies and cream/a regular cheesecake/and I think a rasberry kind. You can bet your butt I will be going back there, lol!!! Oh and the do have a Cold Stone Creamary.
Other then that, thats pretty much it for that mall. It was great to get off base and be in the Japanese world. Now, I just need to go to a language course so I can undertand and talk hopefully a bit better!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment