Hi Everyone!
I decided to start a blog about our time here in Japan. I figure its easier for me to write one note then a billion notes to everyone. Thanks to my good friend Aimee, I was able to find this site and start it up....thanks Aimee :)
So anywho, I have had a few folks as me, "how is it so far?" This question reminds me of when I started talking to John on email. I asked him "Whats Turkey like?"...ahh memories! Well, so far, its good! We are living on a American Air Force Base, so there are a lot of Americans, as well as Japanese here. Right now, we are in the TLFs (temporary living facility) and the housekeepers are Japanese. So, I attempt to say my hello's and thanks you's in Japanese--only fair to them since we are in their country. Hopefully one day, I will learn more of their language. But really, everyone here so far has been super friendly! Couldn't ask for more :) I've had some spouses tell me that being overseas is much more different then in the States. So far, they are right.
The temperature here has been really nice...so far! Its been in the high 60s, so we are in t-shirt weather. Sometimes shorts. I hear we are getting snow in New York right now, so ya'll would love this weather right now. So pretty much, the weather here is like back home in NY year around.
I've had some friends ask me about the food here. Well, since we are on base once again, we have just about all the American food that we would find in Wallyworld, aka Walmart. The kids and I had Toaster Strudels this morning. We have Wonderbread, Peter Pan Peaunt Butter and Jelly, Eggos--you name it, its pretty much here. The one weird thing so far is that they do NOT have is gallon sized milk, only half gallon. Man oh man, we are going to buying milk out to wazooo the way the kids and I drink it, hahah!! We have a Buger King here (like pretty much every AF Base does) and a Chili's will be opening soon!
As far as housing goes, we will be living on base. There are (I think) 3 different areas to live here. The North Housing, West Housing, and East Housing--for some odd reason, I don't think there is housing in the South. Anywho, we will be living in the North side. We move in this Friday actually--I told some of you the 14th, but it got moved up! Can't complain about that. So our house will have an upstairs and downstairs, 3 bed/2.5bath and its about 1400 some odd square feet. Not too bad. Just hope our furniture fits in the master bedroom alright! We will be in walking distance to the Commissary/BX (Base Exchange--like a walmart), Library, Post Office, etc. So we are in a good location! Right now, in the TLF, we are on the East side and its FAR away from everything. You have to cross over the runway to get to anything and its definitely not in walking distance. So really, you don't want to live over here.
Over the weekend, Johns boss took us to Sayo (sp?)--its the Japanese version of Walmart. I think it is owned by Walmart too--not sure if I heard that right. Anywho, its like a big department store with 4-5 levels. The one thing they have there that I cannot wait to do, is a photography studio where you can dress your kids (and yourself) in the traditional Japanese wear!!! That will definitely be a great photo memory!! Another store thats pretty cool is the 100 Yen store. Its the Japanese version of the Dollar Store, except MUCH BIGGER!!! Once again, they have about 3-4 levels in that store too. You can find just about anything there--its amazing!
It was really fun to go outside the base and see Japan for itself. Their streets are very tiny, they drive on the opposite side, and let me tell you, some of their cars are super tiny!!!! Some look like mail boxes, lol!! Speaking of driving, we just took our drivers test today--a lot of new things to learn for sure. One big thing is, we have to stop at railroad tracks--odd, huh?! That will be a change. Their stop signs look US yield signs and their yield signs, well, they look like the stop signs with just one different color. Hopefully I will get used to it all. I'll let ya'll know how my 1st day of driving goes...eeeeee, lol!!!!!
Anywho, so thats about it here so far. Hopefully, I will keep up this blog so ya'll can see whats going on. I did good when I was pregnant with Mayla keeping a blog, so I know I can do this, hahah!!! Miss you all very much!!
Tamsen
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hey Tamsen! Glad to see you guys made it over there and that things are going so well. Wow...I remember the same thing about the milk cartons in Germany too. You will get so used to that stuff that when you come back to the states 1 gallon cartons will look strange to you! You will have to send pictures when you can too! I have always heard that the shopping over there is a lot of fun. Not the case in Germany! Anyway I willhave to check on your blog updates...the whole blog thing was a great idea. Well I have to get myself in gear and go to the gym or do something productive while the kids are at school. Take care and I will talk to you soon :)
ReplyDeleteHey woman! Glad to see you are keeping a blog. I try to keep up with mine as much as possible, but I'm just not that exciting to post regularly.
ReplyDeleteYou will have an amazing time over there. There are so many things to discover. Make sure you check out the "food for your eyes" when you go to a Japanese restaurant (mainly the ones in downtown dept. stores). That can be very handy when ordering.
Hey! So good to hear that everything is going smooth for you. Wish you'all a nice Easter day!I bet you were so glad to get settled in your house. I'm glad you set up a blog so we can hear from you more often. Sounds like your getting adjusted well. I'm sure it has all been a great experience. Jon had lived in England for 3 years. He enjoyed the time he was there and said it was an experience he would never forget. Hope Caden and Mayla are getting use to their new home also. We miss you'all and hope that everything continues to go smoothly. Also good luck Tamsen on your driving experience there. I bet you will miss having your big truck.
ReplyDeleteLove Jon and Tracey